Monday, August 17, 2009

Day one in sales (even though I haven't started selling anything yet)

Today is the first day where I have made any significant steps towards my upcoming career change. This morning I met with Brian Bailey, managing partner for the Northwestern Mutual Financial Group here in Boise. I also met with Jeff Wimer, a financial rep and field director for Northwestern.
Both meetings went really well, and many of my concerns and fears regarding a job as a financial rep were alleviated. Jeff did a good job of reinforcing what I already know regarding my sense of security attached with working for a company by the hour vs. working in a commission position. Basically, when working for a company on an hourly basis your security is tied to the well being of the company and the companies need for your talents. If the companies well being or need for you as employee ever goes away, then so goes your job security. However, in a commission position your security is tied up in your ability to go out and sell a product. Barring any unforeseen accidents my ability to sell does not go up and down according to factors that are out of my control.



What I will accomplish today:
1) Complete the discovering your Markets Worksheet
2) Complete three discovering your markets surveys
3) Get thank you cards made up for Brian and Jeff to deliver tomorrow for their time.

No comments:

Post a Comment